Frequently Asked Questions

My neighbor said I can stop making my monthly assessment payment if I disagree with the Board, is that true?
No. If you disagree with a decision made by the Board, put your concerns in writing and ask for an explanation, or request a hearing to discuss the matter with the Board.

I've got a group of friends coming over for dinner. Is there a limit to the number of guests that I can have visit me?

No. There is no limit on the number of guests that can visit you, only on the number of guest parking spaces available at LVMHOA. Once all of the spaces have been taken, your guests will have to park on the streets in the local neighborhood.

What do I do if my visitor's vehicle is towed?

Contact Orange Police Department @ 714.744.7444. Whenever a vehicle is towed, the tow company MUST notify the Police Department.

I only have one parking space, but I have two cars. Can I park in Visitor Parking?

Unfortunately, there are over 140 other homeowners in the same position as you. Because we are required to maintain Visitor Parking, and we don't have enough spaces for everyone, residents and homeowners are prohibited from parking in Visitor Parking. Violators are subject to immediate tow at the vehicle owner's expense.

Are children allowed to use the Adult Pool/Spa?

State health law prohibits the use of the Spa by children under 14. The Rules & Regulations prohibit persons under the age of 18 from using the adult pool and spa, or being in the adult pool area. Because there are two pools, the Association has designated one for family use and one for adult use.

What do I do if the Manager doesn't respond to my phone call or e-mail?

First off, we always recommend that you "cc" the Board of Directors whenever you email the Manager. Next, you need call or e-mail the manager again. You might want to look around and see if the issue has been resolved. Sometimes issues are resolved without your being notified. Also, please remember that sometimes resolving issues takes awhile, so be patient.

There's a light out, who will change the bulb? There's graffiti, who will remove it?

Since 1994 the Board has taken on the primary responsibility of resolving these maintenance items in order to save money. Make sure you've emailed the Manager and "cc'd" the Board of Directors - don't assume that anyone else has reported the issue. Please be patient. Sometimes issues are as easy as simply replacing a light bulb. Finally, remember that even Board members get busy, so please contact the Manager after a few days to remind him.

 I have hot water coming out of my cold water faucet, what's wrong?

The Association plumbing is interconnected. If something is wrong in any unit in your building, it can affect your unit. Unfortunately, the Association has few options. Multiple plumbers have been consulted and agree that the first thing to be done is to replace all of the cartridges in the shower and sink valves throughout the building. After that, the next step is a detailed inspection of each shower and sink valve assembly in each unit of the building. The Association can only do so much, and it's up to each Homeowner to properly maintain their plumbing fixtures.

I don't have any electricity, what do I do now?

The Association is NOT responsible for electricity to your unit. Your first step is to check with your neighbors to see if they have power, next check the circuit breakers inside your unit. Finally, check the circuit breakers outside that control your unit. DO NOT turn breakers on and off if you don't know what they control. Finally, contact Edison and report the problem.

I've got a problem with a neighbor; can the Association resolve it for me?

The Association is willing to try and help, but there is not much we can do. Your first step is to contact the neighbor or the owner of the unit. The Manager can help you get a letter to an owner. Next, you may have to contact the Police or another agency @ the City (Code Enforcement, etc.). Whatever you do, the Board asks you to keep records and keep the Association informed of any action you have taken.

What are the current colors used on the trim, doors and stucco? Where can I get touch up paint?

Exterior touch up paint is available @ Vista Paints, located at Seventeenth and Tustin in Santa Ana, off the 55 Freeway.

  • Trim: Tender Tan (#8555)
  • Doors (front and garage): Merlot (#27)
  • Stucco, carport doors & storage lockers, & lattice: Rocio (#8553)

I need to have some repairs made. How do I know what I am responsible for and what the Association is responsible for?

Multiple sections of the CC&Rs outline specific responsibilities for maintenance and repair. However, in order to obtain a better understanding; we must refer to California Civil Code sections 1351(i), and 1364(a):

1351. (i) "Exclusive use common area" means a portion of the common areas designated by the declaration for the exclusive use of one or more, but fewer than all, of the owners of the separate interests and which is or will be appurtenant to the separate interest or interests.

(1) Unless the declaration otherwise provides, any shutters, awnings, window boxes, doorsteps, stoops, porches, balconies, patios, exterior doors, door frames, and hardware incident thereto, screens and windows or other fixtures designed to serve a single separate interest, but located outside the boundaries of the separate interest, are exclusive use common areas allocated exclusively to that separate interest.

1364. (a) Unless otherwise provided in the declaration of a common interest development, the association is responsible for repairing, replacing, or maintaining the common areas, other than exclusive use common areas, and the owner of each separate interest is responsible for maintaining that separate interest and any exclusive use common area appurtenant to the separate interest.

If you ask the question, "Who do these items serve and do any other units have access to them?" the answer becomes much clearer. LVMHOA maintains the gas and water lines, up until they enter the individual condo, because they are common to everyone. However, we don't maintain windows, doors or air conditioning & heating because they are an exclusive use item of the Homeowner. With exclusive use comes exclusive responsibility for repair and maintenance.

Items listed below reflect some items that are "exclusive use common area" and are the responsibility of the homeowner to maintain and repair at his or her sole cost. This list may not reflect all items that are "exclusive use common area". If you have a specific question about an item, you must contact the Manager or the Board of Directors for clarification.

1. Balconies;
2. Patios;
3. Backyards - trees, shrubs, sprinklers, concrete, brickwork, etc.;
4. Backyard fences - between individual units;
5. Front doors, door frames & hardware;
6. Storage doors - doors, door frames & hardware
7. Screen doors, frames & hardware;
8. Garage doors, frames & hardware;
9. Garage concrete, wallboard, electrical
10. Window glass, frames & hardware;
11. Widow screens;

12. Sliding glass doors, frames & hardware;
13. Water lines, fittings, & fixtures - inside individual units;
14. Gas lines, fittings & fixtures - inside individual units;
15. Sewer lines and drains - inside individual unit;
16. Carport storage cabinets;
17. Patio covers;
18. Air Conditioning units, drain lines, condensation lines, fixtures, controls, power;
19. Carport, parking space asphalt;
20. Electrical - fittings & fixtures inside the unit and exterior lights for balconies and patios;
21. Satellite dishes - fixtures, equipment, and cabling.

How is my assessment determined and what does it pay for?

The primary relationship between the Board and Homeowners is a fiduciary one. The Board takes great pride in making every attempt to follow California law and our governing documents (CC&RS, Rules & Regulations, etc.) in fulfilling this duty and responsibility.

As a non-profit corporation, the Board must present a pro-forma budget to homeowners for the upcoming fiscal year, not less that 45 days nor more than 60 days prior to the beginning of our fiscal year, which begins January 1st.

This budget is our best 'guesstimate' based on our present knowledge of expenses, of what future expenditures and assessments need to be for the coming year. Once we determine the total financial needs of the Association, we divide that by 12 months and then divide that by 212, to determine what each homeowner's monthly assessment should be. Our legal documents indicate that each homeowner owns an equal share (1/212th) of the common area. Based on that, the assessments are divided equally amongst all homeowners, regardless of square footage, number of bedrooms, or other factors. Our total annual budget is in excess of $600,000 and is divided into two sections, much like your own personal finances - Reserves (your savings account) and Operating (your checking account). Like your finances, both sections are equally important and require attention on a regular basis.

Our reserve budget (nearly $200,000) is based on numbers provided to us during our most recent reserve study analysis. This section includes items such as painting, roofing, street repairs, etc. In addition, the Board allocates money in reserves to meet other large expense items (Insurance deductible, playground replacement, etc.) that may be new, unusual or previously unexpected. Money in our reserve budget is usually kept in a single, separate account where it can earn a higher rate of interest.

Our operating budget (nearly $400,000) is used to manage the routine daily and monthly expenses of the Association. This section includes items such as utilities (gas, water, electric, garbage), security, landscaping, management, pool maintenance, electrical maintenance, common area supplies, etc. By far the largest amounts are spent for utilities ($172,000), security ($30,000) landscaping ($36,000), and management ($24,000).

Like your own finances, the Association does not maintain separate checking accounts for each line item in either the operating or reserve sections of the budget. The budget is meant to be flexible and adaptable to ever changing needs of our community.

Assessments go up and down based on both the current and future needs of the Association. Remember, Board members are homeowners too and don't enjoy paying any more for assessments than is needed.

In accordance with California law, the Association's finances and accounting practices are reviewed and audited annually by a paid, independent accountant. If you ever have any questions about our finances, or would like to personally inspect the Association's books, you are encouraged to make an appointment with our manager.

I've noticed some things that need repaired. Who do I report them to? Also, I need to have some plumbing repairs done inside my unit, how can I get access to the water heater and water shut-off?

From time to time you may experience problems that require assistance from professional vendors. Our Management Company provides 24/7 assistance for your convenience. They can be reached by calling 714.891.1522. After normal business hours, press the number “4” to reach a live operator. Please remember that homeowners and residents are NOT AUTHORIZED to contract for repairs to the common area.

To gain access to water heater in your building, please contact the Management Company at least 72 hours in advance to make arrangements. Information on water shut-off procedures can be found in your Annual Mailing, sent out every November and online. Shut-off valve locations are noted on the Association map.

Please note: The City of Orange requests that NO ONE EXCEPT CITY OF ORANGE EMPLOYEES shut off the main water valve to a building. In the event that you need the main water valve to your building shut off, you will need to contact the City of Orange and request that they send someone out. If you or your plumbers decide to shut off the main water valve to the building and damage the valve, you will be billed for the repair/replacement of the valve.

There are a couple of special situations that homeowners and residents may not be aware of. Most buildings are serviced by two water-heaters, each of which services anywhere from 4-10 units. Each unit is plumbed identical to yours, so there are times that hot water may not be available because lots of your neighbors may have used it up. It's suggested that, before you notify the management company and we send out a plumber, wait a couple of hours and see if the water gets hot. Also, you might alter the time(s) that you use your dishwasher, shower/bath or washing machine. Because our plumbing is interconnected, homeowners and residents are responsible for notifying everyone, including the Management Company, if you are going to be turning off the water to your building.

Problem Vendor Contact information
Life threatening emergency's (injury's, fire, etc.) Emergency Services 911
Water leaks/flooding HWP 714.891.1522
NON-EMERGENCY maintenance HWP Write, call or e-mail
Power Outage Edison International 800.611.1911
Gas Leak The Gas Company 800.427.2200
Laundry (washer, dryer, money) Coinmach 800.954.9000
Loud residents OPD 714.744.7444
Phone SBC 800.310.2355 or 611
Cable TV Time Warner Cable 714.903.4000
Graffiti - City Streets Only City of Orange 714.744.7279
Shopping Cart Removal CA Shopping Cart 800.252.4613
Car Theft/Break-in/Vandalism OPD 714.744.7444

What is the Board of Directors? Who are they? What do they do? How are they chosen?

The La Veta Monterey Homeowners' Association is a California Non-Profit Corporation. Owning a condominium at La Veta Monterey automatically makes you a member of the Association. Each owner has one vote.

A volunteer Board of Directors, made up of five officers: President, Vice-president, Secretary, Treasurer, and Member-at-Large, governs the Association. They are elected at the Annual Homeowners Meeting held each August. The only business that can take place at the Annual Meeting is the Election of the Board or Directors. The Annual Homeowners Meetings is very important. Our legal documents require 50%+1 of the eligible homeowners to be in attendance, either in person of by proxy, in order to establish a quorum. Without a quorum the meeting cannot be held. Each owner in encouraged to attend and participate in the democratic process. If a homeowner thinks or knows they will be unable to attend, they are encouraged to complete and return a proxy.

The Board holds regular business meetings, known as Board Meetings, to oversee duties outlined in the CC&Rs and the Davis-Stirling Act, votes on policy & procedures, develops rules & regulations, and reviews financial information. Board meetings are held monthly, or as necessary, depending on the amount of business before the Board. Board meetings are divided into two sessions - GENERAL, during which the majority of work and decisions are made and to which all Homeowners are invited and EXECUTIVE, during which contracts, lawsuits, personnel matters and hearings are on the agenda. Because of the nature of these discussions, homeowners are not allowed to attend these sessions unless specifically invited.

A Management Company has been hired by the Board to implement policies & procedures, maintenance issues, and the goals set by the Board. It also prepares & mails monthly assessment notices, issues fines & violations, and prepares financial information and checks for the Board's monthly meeting. The Management Company also provides emergency service 24/7 in the event of any problems you may encounter.

Can I install a metal garage door? Can we convert our carports in garages? Can we install access gates around the property and create a "gated community"?

Homeowners are required to maintain doors - including garage doors. Maintenance includes installation, repairs, painting. Yes, you may install a segmented, roll-up garage door.

Throughout the years, homeowners have asked whether or not we can convert carports to garages or enclose the property with security gates. The simple answers are No. Because of a variety of City ordinance issues, we are not able to convert carports to garages, nor are we able to gate the entire community. Title 17, referenced below, is available from the City of Orange and on our website.

First: Carport conversion –

Title 17.34.110 - Parking Area Dimensions.

C. Residential Garages: Residential garages shall maintain an unobstructed minimum interior dimension of ten feet by 20 feet per space. This means, each carport must be a minimum of 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.

F. Drive Aisle Widths. Aisles to and from parking stall shall not be less than: 25 feet wide for 90 degree parking. This means if we could convert, the driveways must be at least 25' wide. Because of the requirements for garages to be so long AND driveways to be so wide, we are faced with a lack of physical space to accomplish the carport conversions for all homeowners.

Second: Gates –

G. Drive Aisles Accessing Arterial Highways. Drive aisles which obtain direct access from an arterial highway shall have a minimum width of 30' for conventional type entrances...In addition, the length of the entry aisle, as measured from the back of the sidewalk, shall be a minimum of 30' long to allow storage space for two cars.

This means no gates are possible on Parker Street and if we can't gate Parker, we have no reason to gate La Veta.

We would also need to gate the entire perimeter, not just the driveways, in order to secure the entire complex. Regardless of where we place gates, people can jump them. Once inside the property, access to units and vehicles remains the same. Gates on driveways MUST open when a vehicle crosses a sensor pad placed at the exit. If a person jumps the fence, and breaks into your car, they only need to "hotwire" it and drive out, using your control key (if you left it in your vehicle) or by driving over the exit sensor.

In addition to the expense of installation, it would mean a new maintenance issue - gate mechanisms are often broken and gates left open, fencing repairs (welding, painting, rust management, etc.), and electrical issues. We would also have to face the esthetic challenges that gates present.

Finally, OPD Crime Prevention staff & the Management Company have advised us that gating the community is not an effective means of deterring access, theft or vandalism, etc. The installation of vehicle & house alarms, security type screen doors, reporting crime and community involvement is recommended and encouraged.


Can I install a satellite dish?

The Board of Directors has established the following guidelines in accordance with the California Civil Code and the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Your cooperation is appreciated.

  • The satellite dish may not exceed 36” in diameter.
  • An owner may install a satellite dish on any portion of their home that is not part of the Common Area. These areas include their patio if applicable, patio cover, or a freestanding pole inside their patio area. The dish may not be installed on the building fascia, roof, building exterior, garage roof, garage exterior, etc. If an owner determines their dish cannot receive a signal from any portion or area of their home other than the Common Area, they must first obtain Association approval as to the location and the method of installation.
  • All cable wire from the satellite dish must be installed so that it is not attached to the building exterior and is not visible from the Common Area.
  • The Association may require an owner to install some method of camouflage to hide the sight of the satellite dish if it is visible from the common area. The camouflage will be paid for and maintained by the unit owner.
  • Any damage to the Common Area related to the satellite dish or to the installation of the dish will be the responsibility of the unit owner.
  • Upon removal of the satellite dish any damage caused by the installation or existence of the dish must be repaired at the unit owner's expense.
  • The Association will approve only one satellite dish per unit for installation onto Common Area property. Any additional satellite dishes must be installed on the unit's exclusive Common Area (i.e., a patio cover) or if applicable onto a freestanding pole located within the patio yard or balcony.

Links to examples of non-penetrating roof satellite installation systems:

Some of my neighbors say that they don't know what's going on around La Veta Monterey. I think the Board's does a great job, but what steps have the Board of Directors taken to increase communication?

Communication is one of the most important issues facing the Board of Directors. Often, because Homeowners or residents don't know where to go or whom to ask, rumors begin and the community suffers. We encourage you to stop misinformation by becoming informed.

In order to increase communication, the Association has received the donation of a website - The website is designed, maintained and hosted by a volunteer, under the direction of the Board, at no expense to the Association. In addition, the Board can be reached by email at

The Board also has a number of more traditional ways of communicating with Homeowners and residents including a monthly newsletter, the bulletin board @ the mailbox area, special mailings, postcards, and fliers delivered to doors. We've also implemented an annual survey to help us gauge your satisfaction with a number of issues.

Because communication is such an important issue, the Board has volunteered to write the newsletter, maintain the bulletin board, and design and oversee the special mailings, postcards, fliers and survey that you receive. We're always looking for more ways to effectively communicate so please let us know if you have any other ideas or suggestions on improving communication.

Communication is a two-way street. The Board needs and wants to hear from you about issues that are important to you and our community. The best way to do that is in writing. The Board encourages you to come up with some possible solutions so that together, we can solve the issues that concern us all.

Do Board Members pay discounted monthly assessments?

Absolutely not. Board members are homeowners and pay the same assessment as every other homeowner. Board members are volunteers and receive absolutely no compensation for their time, efforts and dedication.

How do I rent the clubhouse?

There are a multiple ways: You can send an email to the Board or call 714-280-2762

Got a question?

Take Action


Local Government


Interesting Links

Copyright  ©2021  

Search WWW Search